Did you know that there are more than 600,000 same-sex couple households in the United States? Of that more than half a million same sex households, 115,000 have children. According to a 2019 U.S. Census Bureau analysis Same-sex couples are four times more likely than opposite-sex couples to have adopted children or stepchildren. Over the years, the number of children living with LGBTQIA parents has risen tremendously. As the trend continues, that number will only increase, as same sex adoption and parenting becomes more and more widely accepted.
Here are 5 same sex adoption stats for Pride month 2022:
- More than 16,000 adopted children are living with lesbian and gay parents in California, the highest number in the United States.
- The median age of same-sex parents who adopt is 42, as opposed to 44 for comparable opposite-sex parents.
- Gay and lesbian parents are raising four percent of all adopted children in the United States.
- More than 16,000 same-sex couples are raising an estimated 22,000 adopted children in the United States.
- 43.3% of children of same-sex couples were adopted or stepchildren according to a 2019 U.S. Census Bureau analysis
When no other agency was placing kiddos with same sex couples, we were ... sign up for our next RFA (Foster to Adoption) orientation and see why we’ve been the leaders for Foster to Adoption in the state of California.
Please consider a gift today so that we can continue to change the future.
Stock Photo Credit
Male couple at home with two daughters - depositphotos.com