The goal of SOFT is to successfully reunite children with their families through the use ofintensive community and home-based interventions. Family Specialists will partner with parents to ensure a successful transition back to the family home is possible. Once the child has returned home, Family Specialists continue to work with the family to strengthen parenting skills,effective coping strategies and effectively resume their role. The overall mission is to ensure that every child returned home has the opportunity to thrive in a safe, loving and nurturing family home.
What services look like?
• A family specialist will visit the family within 72 hours of referral
• Services will be provided in the family’s home or natural environment
• In-home case management and support will be offered at flexible times that meet the family’s needs
• Family specialist will engage families at all levels of service planning and consider parents as full partners in navigating the reunification process
• Services aim to alleviate risks that may cause the child to re-enter foster care; including safety planning and relapse prevention strategies
• Nurturing Parenting Program, an evidence-based parent education/parent training model is utilized
• Parenting in Recovery and other educational and support groups will be offered
• Protective Factors framework is utilized to assist parents in identifying strengths and developing resources
• Specialists ensure families are referred and linked to community supports and resources when services end
Services will be tailored to each family's unique needs and will address the issue(s) that brought the child and family into the child welfare system.
At Lilliput, we know that parenting can be overwhelming for even the most equipped parents. When parents don’t have the tools they need, are struggling with addiction or a history of trauma, they may find themselves challenged by their children’s behavior, or become overly authoritative or permissive. We believe that all parents want what is best for their children and that all children deserve the chance to live in safe, loving and nurturing families. Our services are trauma informed, attachment focused, and family centered.