Seven years ago, Rosa got word that her daughter Ysabel’s six young children were being left alone at home. “Ysabel used to be a great mom,” Rosa says. “But her husband started beating her and left her. She started doing drugs.”
At Ysabel’s request, and to Rosa’s delight, the children came to live with their grandmother. Rosa is a kinship caregiver—a relative who steps up to raise children when parents cannot. Lilliput, a part of Wayfinder, supports kinship families, particularly those like Rosa’s that form without support from a child welfare agency. In those cases, kinship providers do not receive state funds for children’s basic needs.
Lilliput helped Rosa find a larger rental home and paid the security deposit. Social worker Tania Fuentes assisted Rosa with paperwork for family court. “I call them angels. I never have had so much help with the kids,” says Rosa.
Three years ago, Rosa added Ysabel’s baby girl to the family, then Jeremiah 18 months ago. To Rosa, raising her grandchildren is a gift “I tell them, I am so blessed to have you with me,” Rosa says. “I get to give you a kiss goodnight.”
Bequests are for everyone.
You don’t have to be wealthy to invest in future generations of children at Lilliput and Wayfinder. Making a bequest is a simple, flexible way to leave the world a better place.
Benefits of a Bequest:
- You can change your mind if your circumstances change. You are not locked into your decision.
- Bequests require no donation during your lifetime. Your asset transfers to Lilliput only at your death.
- Bequests are welcome in any amount. Every gift makes a difference.
- You can leave money to your loved ones and Lilliput by specifying percentages to go to each.
- You will be leading the way to protect vulnerable children, youth and families—so they can turn their potential into reality.
- Your bequest ensures that the next family in need like Rosa’s will have a place to turn. And that Lilliput’s services remain free of charge.
Learn more by contacting Doni DeBolt at (916) 678-7254 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We can show you the greater good that your bequest will achieve.