It is our highest priority to keep family bonds intact. Make it yours too with a donation to help fund our Kinship Support Program.
What is Kinship Support Services Program?
Kinship Support Services Program (KSSP) is a free program designed to provide resources and support to help improve outcomes for families formed through kinship care. KSSP is funded by some California counties and offered in collaboration with community-based service providers. Check our locations page to find out if KSSP is offered in the county where you reside.
What is the Need?
Over 600,000 grandparents in California are raising their grandchildren – the highest such statistic in the country. It’s not just grandparents tackling this responsibility, but other relatives and family friends as well.
How can Kinship Support Services Program help?
KSSP is designed to provide support to kinship families – particularly those formed voluntarily, without the assistance of a child welfare agency. Rarely are families prepared for a situation like this. And that’s where KSSP can help.
KSSP provides support to relatives facing the challenge of raising kin, and also helps connect families in similar situations. In addition, we offer:
- In-home Support
- Support Groups
- Respite Resources
- Information & Referrals
- Legal Referrals
- Guardianship Workshops & Adoption Assistance
- Family Activities
- Play Care
- Assistance with Basic Emergency Needs
Impact on the Children
- Relative foster placements are often more stable than placements with unrelated foster families.
- Siblings are less likely to be separated.
- Children maintain community, cultural, and family connections.
- Relatives are often willing to adopt or become permanent guardians when reunification is not possible.
Impact on our community
- Families thrive
- Juvenile homelessness and delinquency decreases
- Teenage pregnancy is reduced
- Alcohol and drug abuse is reduced
- Rate of incarceration decreases